Wednesday, April 27, 2011

An Approach to Change

I feel very much like I'm in the middle of another transition in my life.  What I describe as a transition is when I've either willingly or unwillingly had to let go of something.  Examples would be moving back to Canada after 23 years in Ireland, setting up a new business again and developing new relationships.  It's that place where the old no longer exists & the new has yet to be fully formed.  It's that void in between.

I've had different experiences with the void all producing interesting results.  I've resisted the changes, blamed people or external events for my predicament, lamented the past & tried to cling on for dear life to what I've known and the result that produced was bitterness, sadness, anger & resentment.

I've searched very quickly for something similar to replace what I've lost, thinking that would give me a sense of comfort when really all it did was create something else to let go of a little later on down the line.

I guess what can make the void so uncomfortable is the uncertainty.  And yet as a singer I've experienced this so many times.  I've rehearsed, prepared & then just before the show is about to start there is that place of transition back stage - that void in between - that uncertainty - what's going to happen next?

What helps me at these times is to adopt a childlike attitude of curiosity and wonder.  To really be excited & playful about the next part of the process.

So I've decided my new approach with any of these transitions is instead of regretting the loss, I'm going to accept the void.  And with a sense of childlike wonder & curiosity I'm going to ask - What next? and wait silently & patiently for the windows of opportunity to present themselves - as they surely will.

No comments:

Post a Comment