Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Celtic Springtime

Happy Imbolc to my Irish friends!  February 1st marks the beginning of spring in the Celtic calandar & is a time to celebrate Goddess Bridget.  Bridget is the bringer of light & reminds us beneath the frozen ground lies the seeds of new possabilities & new beginnings.  Imbolc is a time a of the Child and teaches us to be curious & playful like a child again. 

I've noticed this is an important aspect to my singing practise.  When I adopt that carefree attitude children have when they learn & experiment, I allow myself to relax, to move freely & let go.  I let go of the judgements of how my voice sounds & simple enjoy making the sounds - whatever come out!  And it's amazing the difference it does make to the sound when I stop trying to control it!  Try it yourself.  Sing any sounds as you move your neck freely and allow your body to simply expand.  How does it feel?

It's also a great approach to life me thinks.  What happens when you let go of the need to control everything and you flow with what is happening right now? 

The beginning of spring is also a good time to select your "seed planting" songs - like 'Some Where Over the Rainbow' or 'When You Wish Upon a Star'.  I find it gets me into the state of mind that helps me expand my outcomes & I feel so much better after I sing them.  One of my favourites is a Johnny Mercer song called Dream.  You can hear it on my website http://www.michellebailly.com/  

So what would happen if you allowed yourself to play, move, sing & dream like a child again?  What would happen if you allowed the magic of Bridget & Imbolc to inspire you today?  I know it's a little pagan, but you might just enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment